Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Of black and blue and pain too...

Monday past I was asked by a friend to come and help catch up with spring work. Because I inherited the helping gene, the only answer that came out was yes. So, I found myself riding horse and holding calves while my friend did the cowboy things that he does. After lunch with him, his wife and their oldest son, it was back to work. This time it was sorting yearlings.

For those of you who are not ranchers, here is the definition of a yearling. Teenager left alone with their friends and no parents. Got the picture? These 1 year old calves were to be run through the shut to receive their shots, then sorted into two groups. We were on the last group of calves. These were the black ones. I was warned that they can kick, so I was being careful. I didn't actually get into the chute with them, I was standing on the side panel at about tail hight so that they couldn't get me. I was wrong, these 4 1/2 foot tall, 500 or 600 foot pound teenagers can kick higher than they stand. They also have pretty good aim. I have a black and blue foot to prove it.

Hobbling to work the next two days has made me do some thinking. The bible warns us to be careful that the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion. Translate that verse into todays rancher language would say it like this. Be careful of the devil. He's waiting to get you like a black calf in the chute. He's trying to find someone to kick. I wonder how many of us have been kicked just once by the black devil and now are hobbling around on black and blue spiritual feet. Oh, yes, did I mention pain? This foot hurts. So does a spiritual foot when you've been kicked around.

However, unlike my real foot, we have a spiritual doctor who can speak one word and our spiritual hurt will be all gone. While Jesus is doing the healing, it is our jobs to find the spiritually hurt and help as much as we can. For bruises, Lavender oil works wonders, so does spiritual lavender oil. Some understanding, some empathy, and a whole lot of love will help heal the wounds.

Todays challenge? Find the wounded, and help heal them. It's awesome work, and the rewards last forever.

No comments: